HUANG Zhiyong, Ph.D.
Investigator, TIB, Tianjin, China
Tel: 0086-22- 84861931
Fax: 0086-22- 84861930
1999-2000 The 27th UNESCO post-graduate student fellow, Department of Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Japan
2014-2019 School of Earth Sciences, University of Lanzhou, P.R.China
1991-1995 Research Assistant, Department of Oceanography, Xiamen University, Fujian, China
1995-1995 Research Assistant, Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
2000-2001 Assistant Professor, Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
2002, 1-8 Visiting Scientist, Department of Geology, University of Missouri, Columbia, USA
2002-2008 Research Coordinator, Savannah River Ecology Lab, University of Georgia, Athens, USA
2008- Professor, Tianjin Institute of Industrial Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Tianjin, China
Member of America Society for Microbiology; Professional Member of the Geological Society of America; Member of International Society of Microbial Ecology; Executive member of Tianjin Society for Microbiology; Member of Tianjin Society of Environmental Science
We focus on microbiome, microbial ecology, microbial diversity, community structure, function, and their environmental effects. Based on fully understanding of the principle of microbial interaction relationship, synthetic biotechniques will be performed to assemble and synthetize novel microbial communities, and applied in industrial waste treatment, agriculture, environment sciences, and other fields.
Research interests include:
1. Microbial Enhanced Oil Recovery
Facing the current shortage of oil, improve oil recovery has become one of the important directions of the international petroleum industry. The research group isolated extremophiles from reservoir and studied their main metabolic characteristics, genetics, protein omics, et al. According to the basic research, we developed novel MEOR biotechnology, applying in oil recovery.
2. Bioremediation of contaminated soil
Separation and screening of alkali-tolerant and high temperature oil hydrocarbon degrading bacteria, biosurfactant producing bacteria, compounding water retaining agent, rice husk powder and straw powder, improve soil permeability, promote hydrocarbon degradation. Oil hydrocarbon removal rate more than 75% and 95%, in 60 days and 150 days, respectively. Through compounding functional bacteria agent, with dosage of 60 kg/km2, the technology applicability was verified on the arid and oil polluted cultivated land in Xinjiang province. The experiment of soil remediation over 4000 square meters was completed and the tillage capacity of the soil was initially restored.
3. Salinity industrial wastewater treatment
The wastewater treatment process adopts secondary biological treatment. Under the condition of sequencing batch reaction, the addition of microbial agents and nutrients can significantly improve the COD removal efficiency of wastewater. More than 40 enterprises have been assisted in the detection and more than 70 wastewater samples were analyzed. Dozens of wastewater treatment contracts programs have been completed, including tobacco leaf wastewater, propylene oxide industrial wastewater, domestic wastewater, organic fermentation wastewater, and aquaculture wastewater, respectively.
4. PGPM and Biofertilizer
The excessive use of chemical fertilizers in China has led to soil hardening, the decline of agricultural product quality, the deterioration of cultivated land ecological environment and serious harm to human health. It is urgent to develop green bio-organic fertilizers to replace chemical fertilizers and develop sustainable ecological agriculture. On the premise of in-depth study of soil microbial group, the bio-fertilizer has the characteristics of diverse functions, comprehensive nutrients and stable effect, with a cumulative application area of 47,000 mu, a reduction of fertilizer to 20% and an increase of yield of 3-15%. Five papers, six patents and one fertilizer registration certificate have been published.
5. Biological treatment technology of industrial waste gas (VOCs)
With functional microbial flora as the core, through improving gas-liquid mass transfer, the technical system of high-efficient degradation of insoluble gases in liquid phase was established, and the bioremediation process and engineering equipment of VOCs were designed and developed. The internal air intake loop with four-and-eight rotating blades was used to improve the contact time of microorganisms and gases; the filling of fillers was modularized to facilitate disassembly and assembly. The technology has been successfully applied in Chemical Industry Group and Nantong Xuyou Substrate Phenolic Resin Co., Ltd. to complete demonstration projects of VOCs tail gas treatment with 3000 m3/h air volume and 18000 m3/h air volume respectively, and to achieve emission standards, which has become the first engineering case of VOCs treatment by biological method in China.
1. Y. Han, X. Ma, W. Zhao, Y. Chang, X. Zhang, X. Wang, J. Wang, and Z. Huang*. (2013) Sulfur-oxidizing bacteria dominate the microbial diversity shift during the pyrite and low-grade pyrolusite bioleaching process, Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering,116(4): 465-471
2. S. Xu, Y. Liu, J. Wang, T. Yin, Y. Han, X. Wang, and Z. Huang*. (2015) Isolation and potential of Ochrobactrum sp. NW-3 to increase the growth of cucumber, International Journal of Agricultural Policy and Research, 3(9):341-350
3. Z. Huang*, Song Xu, Yifan Han, Yuan Gao, Y. Wang and C. Song, (2016) Comparative study of Dushanzi and Baiyanggou mud volcano microbial communities in Junggar Basin in Xinjiang, China. International Research Journal of Public and Environmental Health, 3(11):244-256
4. J. Wang，W. Zhao, Y. Liang, Y. Han, X. Wang, X. Zhang, X. Ma, D. Zhang, Z. Huang*, (2017) Development of a prototype 16S rRNA gene-based microarray for monitoring planktonic actinobacteria in shrimp ponds , International Aquatic Research, 9:71–80
5. W. Zhao, J. Wang, Y. Liang, Z. Huang*. (2017) Development of a 16S rRNA gene-based microarray for the detection of marine bacterioplankton community, Acta Oceanologica Sinica, 36:106-114
6. J. Wang, H. Wang, T. Yin, S. Xu, W. Zhao, J. Wang, Z. Huang*, (2017) The persistence and performance of phosphate-solubilizing Gluconacetobacter liquefaciens qzr14 in a cucumber soil, 3 Biotech, 7:294
7. Abbass Jafari Kang, Alistair K. Brown, Charles S. Wong, Zhiyong Huang, Qiuyan Yuan*, (2018) Variation in Bacterial Community Structure of Aerobic Granular and Suspended Activated Sludge in the Presence of the Antibiotic Sulfamethoxazole, Bioresource Technology, 261:322-328
8. J. Wang, Q. Li, S. Xu, W. Zhao, Y. Lei, C. Song and Z. Huang*, (2018) Traits-based integration of multi-species inoculants facilitates shifts of indigenous soil bacterial community, Frontiers in Microbiology , 9:1692
In 2015, we won the "Innovation Achievement Award of Industry-University-Research Cooperation in China".